Friday, March 20, 2009

Ten Minutes with Cartoonist Terri Libenson


From yesterdays' Plain Dealer, an interview with PAJAMA DIARIES cartoonist Terri Libenson:
What makes you different from your "family" cartoonist peers is that you address marital sex, divorce, interfaith marriage and raising Jewish kids in a Christian culture. Have readers noticed?

I try to portray the Kaplans as a contemporary family facing real issues. In the beginning, I was much more blatant regarding sex. Now I approach it more delicately. I receive the most letters in response to the faith-based strips. Usually good feedback, mostly from the Jewish community. Some have actually accused me of not making the characters Jewish enough. And I'd love to have a huge bat mitzvah story line someday.

Hat tip to Terri!

No comments: